Become a Member
Program Archives

Timeline of Mishawaka Indiana Church History


The South Bend Area Genealogical Society wishes to thankfully acknowledge the author of this detailed and excellent timeline of the history of our Mishawaka churches. Mr. Ed Chamberlin is a Mishawaka native, a retired communications teacher of Mishawaka High School, and now a Mishawaka historical film maker and lecturer. He presented his lecture “The History and Genealogy in Mishawaka Churches” to our Society’s November 2016 members monthly program using portions of his historical video “On Solid Rock” and this timeline which he researched and compiled. It is perhaps the most detailed history existing on this subject and a valuable tool for those searching family history records in our Mishawaka churches.

His Chamberlin Video Productions company ( has completed six video films available on DVD. These feature Mishawaka history and include:

  • Downtown Mishawaka
  • On Solid Rock
  • Ball Band
  • Melting Pots of Mishawaka
  • Down to Fame
  • The Lincoln Highway Story

We present this historical timeline on our website with our Society’s grateful appreciation of the dedication to our community’s history by Mr. Chamberlin and for his gift to those researching family history in Mishawaka.

Mishawaka Church History Timeline

Year Timeline Data
1834 1st Presbyterian: July 25, First Presbyterian Trinitarian Society of the Village of St. Joseph Iron Works organized by Mrs. & Mrs. Alanson Hurd, Mr. & Mrs. Levi Dean, Mrs. and Mrs. Philo Hurd, and Mr. & Mrs. Elias Smith. with Rev. Noah M. Wells. First places of meeting were Philo Hurd’s home, and Earl’s Tavern.
1834 Noah Wells came to town as a supervisor of the blast furnace, because of his impaired health and need for change of work and rest from the rigors of the ministry.
1834 1st Methodist: John and Lecretia Skerritt first to Methodists to arrive in Mishawaka. A few others joined them, but with no minister of their own, Rev. Noah Wells held services for both congregations in Philo Hurd’s house and Earl’s Tavern. In the fall, the Indiana Methodist Conference sent Rev. Mr. McCool and Rev. Mr. Ball to the St. Joseph Circuit. Meetings were held in homes, and later in a building on Front Street, and the school house on Second Street.
1835 1st Methodist: July 19, first society of the Methodist Episcopal Church organized with 8 members (including Mrs. and Mrs. Skerritt, Mrs. and Mrs. Elliott Hurd, Mrs. Orlando Hurd.)
1836 1st Methodist: July 19, first society of the Methodist Episcopal Church organized with 8 members (including Mrs. and Mrs. Skerritt, Mrs. and Mrs. Elliott Hurd, Mrs. Orlando Hurd.)
1836 1st Methodist: Oct. 26, Annual Conf. recognizes Mish. as official church and assigns pastor. Sept. 1 – Elliot Hurd gave Methodist Society a lot on the west side of Main Street (between 1st and 2nd) to build the first church in Mishawaka. It was replaced in 1848 – used as a store until it burned in fire of 1872.
1837 1st Presbyterian: First Presbyterian church building built on Center Court, north of Front Street.
1837 St. Paul’s: April 20 St. Paul’s Episcopal Church formed. (3rd oldest church) Started worshiping in a school outside of town. (Built church in 1842 or 1843)
1842 (Autumn) Sorin: Fr. Edward Sorin, C.S.C., and a group of Holy Cross Brothers arrived at St. Mary’s Lake and founded N.D.
1843 1st Christian: Church organized. (Weak beginnings reorganized in 1853 with only 36 members) 1843 organized (one of first five founded in Mishawaka)
1843 First met in a small schoolhouse in the 400 block of East Second Street (LWE) for ten years.
1843 St. Paul’s: Dec. 31 – St. Paul’s Episcopal Church consecrated first building on the hill on the west side of north Spring Street. (Rev. Foster Thayer) It was considered one of the most imposing of its day with its cross-topped steeple and tall white pillars) Parsonage added in 1872. The church contained the first belfry bell in Mishawaka, cast in 1836. Original organ (reportedly brought from Saratoga Spring, N.Y., was eventually replaced by a VanDinter pipe organ, which was later moved to new church with some stained glass windows.
1844 Sorin: Fr. Sorin’s missionaries began holding Catholic services in Mishawaka (as well as Elkhart, Goshen, Plymouth, LaPorte, Michigan City, and Valparais0)
1846 1st Presbyterian: Second Presbyterian church building built on SE corner of Mill and Lincoln Way West.
1846 Albright: Origins of Albright Church – Rev. A.B. Shafer, an Evangelical Association missionary, traveled through Mishawaka in 1846, holding services in private homes, due to infrequency of the pastor’s circuit.
1847 St. Peter’s: Established on May 24, 1847 (in Presbyterian Church)
1848 Sorin: Sorin bought four lots (1/2 block) on SW corner of Elm and Battell. A house, 815 Elm, was converted into 1st Catholic church, the Church of the Holy Angels. On Dec. 12, the first baptism administered for Samuel Black, age 36. the next August, the first funeral service was conducted for the same man.
1848 Sorin: From 1848 until 1855, a room in the residence on the southeast corner of Lawrence and Margaret streets was arranged for divine service, and to it the name was given, Holy Angels Church. (815 Elm Street) In the first baptismal of record for the church, Fr. Francis Cointet conditionally baptized a 36 year old convert names Sameul Black. A short time later, he dies of cholera and become the first recorded death. In the latter year, 1855, a small frame building, for church purposes, was erected on the north-west corner of Grove and Sarah streets, but this building was destroyed by fire in 1860.
1848 1st Methodist: A new, larger Methodist church dedicated on October 5, on the SW corner of Church and Lincoln Way, (119-121 LWE) second building west of Church street (square cupola on top for steeple) (Sold the 1836 church to Nathan Russ, a grocer, for a storehouse, and later a print shop for Enterprise burned in 1872 fire.
1849 Albright: In November, the Evangelicals (Albright), under leadership of George G. Platz, met and voted to build a church. (Third Street, south of river) (not completed until 1856) Nov., 1849, small frame building on 3rd street (24 x34 feet) dedicated on April 6, 1856.
1850 St. Peter’s: Early 1850’s, a very modest chapel built on East Broadway, near Cedar Street used for about 10 years)
1853 Sorin: Sorin bought the Indiana City Hotel three story frame building (NW corner of Main and Mish. Ave.) for Sisters of the Holy Cross to establish girls boarding school, Holy Angels Academy. Sister M. Euphrasia as teacher, and Sister M. Circumcision as director.
1853 1st Christian: December 9 First Christian church purchased lot on LWW, formerly owned by the Baptists, with partially completed building, which became first church home.
1853 Late in 1853, purchased land and small church house at 307 West Second Street, from the Baptists.
1854 Sorin: Sorin purchased four lots on NW corner of Sarah and Grove for a new, larger Holy Angels Church and home for the priest, Fr. John Mager. (Built in 1855)
1855 Second Holy Angels built on NW corner of Grove and Sarah. Fr Sorin described it as a pretty frame building going up on the Sisters lot together with a house for the priest. All is to cost between 1200 and 1300 dollars. This will give the mission a Christian appearance and more advantages.
1855 Sorin: School failed to attract enough pupils. Prejudice against Catholics in U.S. and academy was victim of broken windows and other vandalism. Sorin purchased last west of ND campus, and hired a contractor to dismantle and move academy to the land to make it the Motherhouse for the Sisters of the Holy Cross. 1st building on St. Mary’s campus came from Mishawaka. The property became the site of a Baptist church in 1868, and the first St. Monica in 1915.
1856 Albright: April 6 Evangelical (Albright) Church finally completed and dedicated (still too small to support full-time pastor)
1860 St. Andrew’s: Oct. 14 Rev. Philip Wagner helped organize the German Evangelical St. Andrew’s Church. early services held in homes (All records until 1919 written in German) Formed on Oct. 14, 1860 (German Evangelical St. Andrew’s Church) 6 months before Civil War began
1861 Sorin: February 15 – Holy Angels destroyed by fire (Pastor Henry Koening) – strongly suspected arson. Two new lots were purchased on March 12. The third church was built on south side of river this time (Third and Spring), secular diocese, called St. Joseph. (Germans wanted it on south side, river fording, etc.) Cornerstone in June of 1861. Bishop Luers attended, provided a healthy dontation to cover the $8000 cost. (Good letter on page 21) Records show that George Milburn of the Milburn Wagon works was very generous. It was dedicated on December 8, 1861. 90 foot steeple, 200 seating capacity. All this in the first year of the Civil War!
1862 St. Peter’s: Nov. 16, 1862 26 x 40 frame church dedicated on SW corner of Church and Front Streets.
1863 St. Joe bought more land on 4th and Spring, to now own half a block.
1864 St. Andrews: builds first church on (brick) in the 100 block of W. 3rd Street. first building erected in 100 block of West Third. used until December, 1950. quaint red brick with the steeple centered over the arched from entrance on the north side of Third street, between Mill and Main, on land originally belonging to the St. Joseph Iron Works.
1865 1st Presbyterian: Sept. 24 Schuyler Colfax delivers eulogy for Lincoln.
1865 St. Joe puts up first school, brick building on Spring Street, just behind church.
1867 1st Christian: Ira Chase starts his first pastorate, at First Christian Church. (Later became 21st governor of Indiana.) He was the first full time pastor of congregation began on Sept. 20, 1867. Served for two years.
1867 1st Baptist: On May 14, 1867 the First Baptist Church was founded, making it one of the oldest churches in the community, first located on Mishawaka Avenue.
1867 May 14, 1867 1st Baptist Church of Mishawaka officially formed.
1867 1st Baptist: Mishawka Baptist Church: There was an organization of this church in Mishawaka prior to 1840, but it has since become extinct. The present church was organized May 14, 1867, by Elders T. P. Campbell, of South Bend, and B. P. Russell, of Niles, Mich., and brethren from the Churches of South Bend, Niles and Penn township. There were 18 charter members; Rev. M. T. Lamb was the first pastor P. C. Perkins first clerk, and J. C. Snyder the first treasurer. The first deacons were John Merriman, A. J. Ames and J. C. Snyder. Rev. F. Moro was pastor of the church from December, 1870, to November, 1871. Rev. B. P. Russell became pastor in 1874.
1868 1st Baptist: In 1868 this society (Mishawaka Baptist) erected a house of worship, valued at $5,000. Sabbath-school each Sabbath at 12 M.; and services each alternate Sabbath morning and each Sabbath evening, by Rev. H. J. Finch, pastor. Present number of communicants. 101. 1868-69 first building erected at 110 W. Joseph Street (now Mishawaka Ave.) former Indiana Academy land
1868 1st Baptist: In 1868 this society (Mishawaka Baptist) erected a house of worship, valued at $5,000. Sabbath-school each Sabbath at 12 M.; and services each alternate Sabbath morning and each Sabbath evening, by Rev. H. J. Finch, pastor. Present number of communicants. 101. 1868-69 first building erected at 110 W. Joseph Street (now Mishawaka Ave.) former Indiana Academy land
1868 1st Baptist: 1868-69 first building erected at 110 W. Joseph Street (now Mishawaka Ave.)
1869 St. Joe, Fr. August Bernard Oechtering (who arrived in 1867), purchases the entire block. Goes in more debt, remodeled church in 1870, etc.
1871 1st Presbyterian: added twenty feet on to their church building, remodeled and refurnished interior, and owned building.
1871 Albright: A second Evangelical (Albright) church built in 1871 on SW corner of First and Mill Streets. (Parsonage built in 1878 on North West Street.) Church faltered during the 1870’s due to shrinking membership, and was changed in status to a mission station. Sept. 8, 1871 new building dedicated on SW corner of (opposite Kuss Bakery) 1st and Mill Streets.
1872 St. Peter’s: 1872 Officially became known as St. Peter German Lutheran Church
1872 1st Methodist: began building 3rd Methodist Church built on NW corner of Mill and Lincoln Way West, between Mill and Spring (referred to as 1872 Church, even though it wasnt finished (basement only furnished and roofed) and dedicated until a few years later, 1884)
1872 1st Presbyterian: September 5 the Great Fire destroyed second Presbyterian church. Began at 7:45 p.m. (third to start on church premises within a few months?)
1872 Melted church bell and Rev. McCord sol 300 pounds of melted bell @ 19 cents a lb. to rebuild piece might still exist in display case. McCord believed incendiary angered by his stern anti-liquor stand.
1872 Old 1836 Methodist church burned.
1873 1st Presbyterian: January 5 Presbyterian church reopened in rebuilt building on same lot – not completed until 1884.
1873 St. Joe: Oechtering continues spending new $7,500 priest’s hose at corner of 4th and Spring. Construction costs high because of all rebuilding from 1872 fire. (page 25 of book)
1873 1st Methodist: April moved seats, fixtures and bell from old church to new. Farewell service on April 12 opening service on April 28, 1873. (Used basement for service until 1884.) The 1848 Methodist church sold on Jan. 29 to Lewis T. Booth for a furniture store. 1884, Frank Eberhart bought and remodeled it, and moved his grocer business there. After several other businesses it was finally torn down in 1957, but still very well constructed even then.
1877 St. Peter’s: 1877 First time congregation considered conducting services in English, but no action was taken
1878 The first PHJC sisters arrive at St. Joe Parish, on October 25. They came to nurse the sick, and a Mrs. Agnes Phillips let her home at the SE corner of 4th and Spring be used as their convent. She lived there, with the nurses caring for her, until she died in 1888. It was given the name of St. Agnes Convent in tribute to her. The nurses became a very valuable service throughout the community.
1883 St. Joe: Coming out of debt in the early 1880’s, a new organ built and installed by Louis VanDinter, whose shop was across the street to the west.
1883 St. Paul’s: Little is known about early history, but in 1883 the people had written to the bishop to request that the church not be reopened. But the Bishop sent Rev. Augustine Prentiss, too serve St. Paul’s (and St. John’s in Elkhart) No one met him at the train, no vestry had been elected in for six years, However, he had a full congregation at 1st service on March. 9. On July 15, the Bishop Knickerbacker visited and confirmed 16 adults, and the rebirth had begun.
1884 1st Methodist: Third Methodist build finally completed. First floor auditorium for worship instead of basement. (began in 1872)
1884 1st Presbyterian: *** Check on this coincidence: Presbyterian church finally completed (began after fire in 1872)
1893 St. Joe: Present St. Joe Church dedicated. Organ brought over from older church by VanDinter. August Erb and his three sons carved and built pulpit and communion rail. Dedicated on Oct. 22, 1893, but the Last Supper window not installed until the following year because it was exhibited at the 1893 Chicago Exhibition World’s Fair.
1896 1st Christian: February 23 – First Christian Church formally dedicates new building at LWW and Spring Street. Impressive Gothic church, which huge chandelier holding 32 lights. (Became Vogue Beauty College)
1901 1st English Lutheran: was organized onNovember 19,1901 when the first service of worship was held in the Zion Evangelical Association Church at the corner of Mill and First Streets in Mishawaka on December 1, 1901. Sunday School was commenced on that day as well. (The name derives from the fact that it was the first Lutheran church in Mishawaka to have its services spoken in English. In the early 20th century many Lutheran parishes had their services in German since the many German immigrants were Lutheran.)
1902 St. Joe: Tore down old church, and began to build new school in it’s place.
1902 Free Methodist: Church builds church at 601 E. Grove (corner of Chestnut/Grove) Cement blocks for building made from gravel dug out for basement.
1902 St. Peter’s: 1902 sold property on Church and Front and dedicated new church, parsonage and school on Nov. 23, on Church and 4th Street (organ from Louis Van Dinter)
1903 1st English Lutheran: First English’s original home was at the corner of Seventh and Main in Mishawaka. The building was dedicated on April 19, 1903. (In the 1990s the building was demolished.)
1903 1st Methodist: The Mishawaka Annex Christian Association added to the west side of the 1872 Methodist Church, with a new parsonage, in turn, adjoining the west side of the Annex. (started as an idea for a small building to be used as reading room and rec. center for members, but Martin V. Beiger had bigger plans.)
1903 St. Bavo’s: May 3, 1903, Flemish worshipped with Germans at St. Joseph until a wood framed building dedicated at corner of 8th and West to serve as school, church, and hall.
1904 Albright: Struggled until a great revival began in 1903.
1904 Evangelical congregation (Albright) sold church on First and Mill and relocated on the corner of Grove and Elizabeth. Pastor Rev. L. Newman led the building of new church. Third church built on Elizabeth and Grove (modern building equipped with furnace heating and electric lighting.) Sold Building to Frederick M. Barrows, who renovated it for his place of business the Mishawaka Medicine Company which manufactured such products as Wooley’s Herb Tonic, cough and diarrhea remedies, kidney pills, worm and headache powders, corn killers, sold throughout northern Indiana by medicine men for years.
1905 St. Bavo’s: Jan. 1, 1905 brick church at 7th and West dedicated – school continues at 8th and West ( had renovations in: 1930 extensive decorations 1951 redecorated 1958 modernized 1986 Tuck pointing (exterior work)? 1989 interior of church badly
1906 St. Paul’s: St. Paul’s Episcopal church sold so gravel in hill could be used. New church started at Lincoln Way East and Cedar. Stands on a foundation which originally supported an old ice house Enterprise, 2/12/87
1907 St. Paul’s: Church on the hill and parsonage sold so that gravel in the hill could be used. First service in St. Paul’s new church, Easter Sunday (Rev. John A. Linn) Stained glass windows moved from old building to new.
1907 1st Methodist: Church redecorated inside and out, new Bedford Stone entrance built, new gymnasium floor installed, and other improvements.
1908 St. Monica: Catholics on north side of river wanted a church.
1908 Oct. 4, 1908, they voted to pursue one (with the blessing of the bishop) at a meeting held in St. Joseph school.
1908 St. Paul’s: New church built at 616 East Second Street (LWE). Decision to build new church was made when Rev. John Addams Linn (nephew of Jane Addams of Chicago Hull House) was rector, who left before it was completed. He was also killed in France during WWI serving a chaplain plaque in building). The year the church opened, Rev. Lewis C. Rogers started his 25 year span as rector. Original organ (reportedly brought from Saratoga Spring, N.Y., was eventually replaced by a VanDinter pipe organ, which was later moved to new church with some stained glass windows.
1909 1st Presbyterian: Because of expanding congregation, Presbyterians purchased land on Lincoln Way (present location) for new building sold building in May, and held services in St. Andrew’s the following fall.
1910 1st Methodist: Methodist outgrowing building and streetcars on Lincoln Way interfering with services The children of Adolphus and Sarah Eberhart surprised congregation by offering to build and completely furnish a new church in memory of parents.
1910 St. Joe: Mishawaka needs hospital .Hospital opened – page 41-44
1911 1st English Lutheran: Jan. 29 – First English Lutheran adds on new sanctuary (old becomes classrooms) Jan. 29, 1911 church sanctuary dedicated
1911 East Methodist: March 14 a group of members from 1st Methodist met at home of Mr. & Mrs. A.J. Gernhart and decided to provide a Sunday School for the East End. Originally met in the little old Beiger school. Before first building, met in Edmund Byrkit’s barn (116 S. Byrkit).
1911 1st Presbyterian: Presbyterian church (present location) dedicated on March 30 (Rev. A.C. Ormand) (Georgian style architecture, with white limestone and brick, Doric colonnades, and Christopher Wren steeple.)
1912 1st Methodist: New Methodist church dedicated on June 16, on corner of Church and Third streets. (Gothic design, outside walls of Bedford stone. All interior woodwork in mahogany.) The following Sunday, June 23, members of the Sunday School met at old church and marched to the new one.
1913 1st Methodist: Billy Sunday’s Evangelistic Campaign.
1913 1st Baptist: purchased property at Main and Lawrence on July 3
1914 1st Baptist: About 100 members withdrew membership and organized Immanuel Baptist. 1st Baptist recorded 47 members in February of that year.
1915 Albright: 1915 28 new members added as a result of the S.B. Billy Sunday Revival, and 49 more converts taken in at another revival in November with Evangelist Dave Hill.
1915 1st Baptist: Sept. 4, 1915 sold building to St. Monica (which sold it to Nelson Christianson and Edward Philion of the Mishawaka Furniture Company in 1921)
1915 St. Monica: Sept., 1915, bought church and parsonage (108-116 W. Mishawaka Ave.) from Baptists (Catholics originally owned land and maybe the same land as Girls Academy Indiana City Hotel)) Remodeled church dedicated on Oct. 17. After church opened, the rule was established that all Catholics on north side had to go to church on north side of river, and about 150 families transferred from St. Joseph, but students still went to St. Joe School.
1916 1st Christian: February 24th, Fire in church (page 18 Stickley book)
1916 St. Michael’s Ukranian Catholic formed
1916 1st Baptist: 1916 began construction of building on Main and Lawrence (basement roughly finished and used for regular services until late 1919)
1916 St. Monica: April 15, 1916 Several lots purchased on south side of Grove Street between Elizabeth and Ann for chapel, school and parsonage.
1917 St. Monica: May 13, 1917 chapel and school dedicated (church/chapel in basement)
1919 Albright: Evangelical Church (Albright) no longer had to share its pastor with Coalbush, and became completely self-supporting.
1919 1st Methodist: 1872/1903 Methodist Church/Annex/Parsonage sold to the Knights of Columbus in August. Bought parsonage on 301 Edgewater in September.
1919 1st Methodist: Knights of Columbus dismantled 1872 Meth. Church (land used for filling station), annex remodeled for K. of C. use.
1919 1st Baptist (Current Location) Church sufficiently completed for a formal dedication on Dec. 14, 1919 (had been using basement since 1916.) Church organ, built by Louis Van Dinter to be removed from old church and installed in the near future.
1921 St. Monica: 1921 Sold old Baptist church to Nelson Christianson and Edward Philion for furniture business.
1921 St. Peter’s: 1921 officially dropped German from name of church
1925 St. Andrews: bought land on 4th and Union for future expansion
1925 St. Paul’s: The new Bishop Gray picked St. Paul’s as the (Pro)Cathedral, and he lived at 710 L.W.E. He had grand plans to build a new cathedral on the corner, and that was when the parish acquired the corner lot, but the Great Depression hit the church hard. In fact, when Rev. Lewis C. Rogers retired in 1933, the bishop took over as rector, and sent his salary go to the Diocese to cover St. Paul’s debts. No longer was Pro-Cathedral as of 1950 new bishop moved it to S.B.
1926 East Methodist: May – East U. Methodist opens up first building (now education wing) on Third and Melville.
1926 1st Baptist: June 6, 1926 dedicated the new annex for Sunday School rooms) average S.S. attendance that year of 504, with and enrollment of 800.
1927 1st Baptist: March 10, withdrew affiliation from the Northern Baptist Convention.
1927 St. Monica: 1927, Oct. 2 new church completed on Mishawaka Ave. and Ann Street
1929 1st English Lutheran: 1929 building completely renovated
1929 Albright: Evangelical Church (Albright) sold Grove and Elizabeth building to the Church of the Nazarene, and purchased new land at corner of Charlotte and Mishawaka Ave.
1930 Albright: Evangelical Church (Albright) dedicate basement on September 21 (building wasnt completed until June of 1943.) Sept. 21, 1930 Mishawaka Ave. BASEMENT church opened
1935 1st Methodist: Evening service sermon given by Rev. William A. Sunday. This was the last sermon he ever preached he died on Nov. 6, 1935.
1940 St. Peter’s: 1940 Any and all remaining German services dropped
1941 St. Peter’s: 1941 Sept. 7 New parish hall (built where school had stood) and enlarged and renovated church, dedicated
1943 Albright: Evangelical Church (Albright) finally dedicates building on Mish. Ave, in June (building was started in 1930!) June 7, 1942 Present church finally completed and dedicated.
1945 1st English Lutheran: *** In 1945, six lots were purchased at 1200 East Mishawaka Ave (from Mason to Gernhart) for new building. Construction will begin when conditions set by the congregation are fulfilled by the Grace of God. (picture in 50th Anniversary booklet)
1946 Albright: 1946 merged with Evangelical Church merged with United Brethren in Christ Church became First Evangelical United Brethren
1949 St. Andrews: sold little red brick church.. .
1950 St. Paul’s: Pro-Cathedral Status moved to S.B. with a new bishop.
1951 East Methodist: March 4 East U. Methodist dedicates new sanctuary and education wing
1951 St. Andrew’s: April 15 After 86 years in old building, St. Andrews Evangelical and Reformed Church (name changed in 1934 merger) dedicates new building on corner of S. Union and E. 4th.
1951 1st Christian: May 4, 1951 S.B.T. Proposed addition of Mishawaka Christian Youth building
1952 St. Paul’s: Gradual growth continues under new rector, Wilbur B. Dexter. In his early years, a new rectory was purchased on Edgewater, and old rectory next to church became church school and chapel.
1954 St. Bavo’s 1954 school replaced with new brick building at present location
1957 1st English Lutheran: 1957 purchased 6 acres on Ireland Trail
1957 1st Methodist: Methodist Church adds an educational building and the Chapel of the Good Shepherd. November 10 consecration.
1957 1st Methodist: The 1848 Methodist Church torn down after 109 years !
1957 St. Andrew’s: Another merger changes St. Andrews to St. Andrew’s United Church of Christ, Evangelical and Reformed.
1957 1st Baptist: 1957 education wing added and complete renovation of original building begins, mostly done by church members in their spare time (dedicated 1962)
1959 1st Presbyterian: 125 Anniversary six founders graves in city cemetery.
1960 1st Presbyterian: Presbyterian Church adds Christian Education Wing
1961 1st English Lutheran: moved to its present location (16495 Ireland Road) on May 8, 1961. December, 1961 New Building on Ireland Trail dedicated
1961 East Methodist: East U. Methodist adds on to educational wing (started June 12)
1962 1st Baptist: complete five year building/renovation project dedicated in April
1962 St. Andrew’s: 1962 Became St. Andrew’s United Church of Christ.
1963 Albright: Evangelical Church (Albright) adds new education wing and gymnasium. 1963, Oct. 20 dedication of new addition.
1968 Albright: Evangelical Church (Albright) formally becomes United Methodist Church. 1968 Merged with Methodist Because new conference required that any churches with First in name change, it became Albright U.M. at that time, named after Jacob Albright, founder of the Evangelical Church in America.
1970 1st Baptist: 1970 groundbreaking for multi-purpose facility (gym, etc.)
1970 St. Peter’s: 1970, May 10 the congregation officially voted to oppose the elimination of the church for a railroad underpass into Church Street
1971 1st Christian: December 19 – 1st Christian Church holds first service in new building at 2511 East Third (Formal dedication four months later.) Planning began in 1957, because 1896 building had become too small – bought several lots nearby, but decided in 1969-70 to build new church.)
1972 St. Andrews: 1972 New education Wing dedication on Oct. 15th.
1979 St. Peter’s: 1979, July 8 Deconsecration ceremony of old church, and temporarily met at First United Methodist
1979 St. Peter’s: Nov. 11, 1979 Dedication of new building on Dragoon and SR331
1996 St. Monica: 1996 (March) ground broken for gymnasium/parish center addition
2000 St. Joe: Church completely refurbished: interior painting, air conditioning 160 steeple repaired after being struck by lightning. Original VanDinter organ rebuilt.
2001 St. Bavo’s: 2001 Educational wing/meeting rooms added (renovation)
2006 Albright: 2006, Oct. fire

Have Questions?

For all inquiries, please contact us by clicking the button.
A representative will get back to you as soon as possible.